This Week at WCA, May 11th
Westminster Christian Academy is pleased to announce that Widener Norris is the Valedictorian for the Class of 2022. Widener is the son of Blaine and Alison Norris of Athens. He began Westminster as a middle school student in 6th grade. During his time at WCA, Widener has participated in Swim Team, Cross Country, Literary, Quiz Bowl, National Honor Society and Student Council. Widener will be attending the University of Georgia in the fall and has been awarded a Foundation Fellowship. He plans to study Biochemical Engineering and International Business. Congratulations to Widener and his family!
Westminster Christian Academy is pleased to announce that Peyton Sanders is the Salutatorian for the Class of 2022. Peyton is the son of Ben and Angie Sanders of Bishop. His first year at Westminster was as a Kindergarten student and he is a 13-year graduate. During his time at WCA, Peyton participated in Cross Country, Soccer, Basketball and National Honor Society. Peyton plans to attend the University of Georgia in the fall pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Congratulations to Peyton and his family!
And they're off!
They are all finished except for the ceremony! Congratulations to the Class of 2022 as they completed their time on campus after last Thursday's Senior Celebration. Their commencement ceremony will be held Friday evening at Watkinsville First Baptist Church. We will miss seeing your smiling faces on campus but it will be exciting to see what the future holds for each of you!
Last Week of School Early Dismissal Days
In preparation for the last week of school, please be aware of the early dismissal times as follows:
- Wednesday the 18th and Thursday the 19th - Upper School early release @ 11:15 am
- Friday the 20th - All school early release @ 9:35 am
Upper School Final Exam Week
Final exam week (May 18-20) is next week for our upper school students! In preparation, please see the information below and contact Kelly Cole with any questions.
Upper School Final Exams: Things to Know
- Follow this link to access the final exam schedule. Please note the times and locations of exams - C classrooms are in the gym, F classrooms are in the field house and M classrooms are in the modular buildings.
- Dress for the three days of exams will follow casual Friday guidelines. Please remember that casual dress during exams is a privilege. We want to continue to follow our dress code standards well until that time.
- Exam days are early dismissal days for all upper school students. Students will be finished with exams at 11:15 am on Wednesday and Thursday and 9:35 am on Friday. Learning Support Students schedules are different please contact Keyla Carson with any questions.
- Students must be picked up when exams are over unless they have practice right after school.
- 6th and 7th grade students do not have exams on Friday, so those students should stay home that day.
Lost & Found
One more time! Lost and found items are on display in the gym. Please check the tables for items that might belong to your household. Items will be on display until Thursday, May 19th at 2:45 pm. Any unclaimed items at that time will be donated. As always, thank you for your assistance with this process!
Athens 2022 Best of the Best ~ Vote Today
Show your support for Westminster by casting your vote today in the “Best Private School” category of the 2022 Best of the Best in Athens Awards. Please follow this link, scroll to the Private School category and vote for WCA.
WCA Bylaws Updates
During the 2022-2023 school year, WCA will be going through the re-accreditation process with the Southern Association of Independent Schools/Cognia. As part of this process, our Board of Trustees has made edits and updates to our bylaws and need approval from our families for these revisions. We need your help to review and approve the changes that have already been approved by the Board of Trustees. Please follow this link to review and approve the bylaws.
The Lion King ~ It's a Wrap!
With Much Gratitude
The Lion King was an amazing performance by our students and it was a huge undertaking for Mrs. Wills and Ms. Cole and so many others. Please see the message below expressing their gratitude from Mary Claire Wills and Sarah Cole:
We want to extend our deepest appreciation to all who helped with the Lion King Musical! So many parents and teachers worked so hard to help with costumes and student supervision, props, set design, and so much more, and we could not have done it without you!! Thank you also to all the students who gave of their time to help with face painting, make props, take-down, etc. We are so thankful for each and every person who helped make the Lion King possible!!
FACTS Accounts ~ Please take a look.
With the end of the school year quickly approaching, we are trying to be sure FACTS accounts are up to date before we start the new year in June. Please take a look at your FACTS tuition and incidental accounts to be sure that any outstanding charges are either paid or are scheduled to be paid. Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated! If you have questions, please contact Tami Butts.
Lunch Bunch & After School
We are happy to be able to offer our extended day programs to our parents who need additional childcare. LunchBunch (pre-k and half-day kindergarten) begins at noon and ends at 2:45, and AfterSchool (all lower school) begins at 2:45 with pick-up at 5:15 pm.
Extended Care Reminders:
- Please remember that pre-registration (see process below) is needed for extended day programs. There are a limited number of spaces available for each day. If you haven't pre-registered, and we reach our maximum number of students, your child will be unable to stay.
- Additionally, please remember that a student in extended care may only be signed out by someone who is of driving age or older.
- **Emergency contact form must be completed and returned before a child can stay for LunchBunch or AfterSchool. Please follow this link for the form.**
- Charges will be billed to your FACTS account on a monthly basis on the 15th of the month for the previous month.
- Please know that effective immediately, there will be a $10 fee for all late pickups. Pick-up time is by 5:15 pm. Thank you for your understanding and assistance.
How do I sign up?
- Click the link: Lunch Bunch & After School Registration
- Click the date your child will need to attend. If your child will attend every day of the month, or the same days each week, you may select "repeats" and choose daily or weekly. If Lunch Bunch or After School reach max capacity, you will see a red message that says "FULL" on the day.
- Click on the "Calendar" box and select "LB/AS SIGN UP"
- Type student name(s) into the "Who" box
- Type LB for Lunch Bunch, AS for After School or LB/AS for Both
Please contact coordinator Alicia Larson - firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-858-4074 - with questions regarding Lunch Bunch or After School.
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA family in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (email@example.com) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
Please be in prayer for our upper school art teacher, Jackie Kirsche. She is experiencing a recurrence of her ovarian cancer and will be beginning treatment next week on April 20th. Prayers for the the lack of complications and the effectiveness of the treatment are much appreciated. Jackie will be continuing to work during this time hoping to only miss as treatment days require. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018) with your prayers during this time.
Please be in prayer for Konda Johnson (Grace - 10th, Hollan - Class of 2019) as she walks through the next stage of her journey with recurrent metastatic cholangiocarcinoma cancer. She is beginning a new treatment in the form of a pill that has recently been approved and will be closely monitored as treatment progresses. It is called targeted therapy which targets only the cancer and there is great hope that this will be successful. Prayers are requested and greatly appreciated for Konda and her family as she faithfully continues this journey.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.