This Week at WCA, February 5th
Seven Consecutive Years
Congratulations to our Mock Trial team who won their 7th straight Region Competition! The Lions competed this past Saturday against Athens Academy, Jefferson, Appalachee, Oconee, North Oconee, Athens Christian, Clarke Central, Stephens County and East Jackson. Sean Mulkey, Mary Caroline McCormick, and Sawyer Bradford won outstanding attorney awards in their rounds and Hannie Lanclos, Caelan Mckenzie and Katie Cooper all won outstanding witness awards. WCA parent, Kim Stephens was recognized as Outstanding Attorney Coach. Go Lions!
WCA Swim Finishes Strong at State Meet
Congratulations to both our middle school boys and girls swim teams for incredible performances at last weekend's GAPPS State Swim Meet. The boys were crowned State Champions and the girls were State Runner Up. Go Lions!!
Congrats to our Varsity Boys and Girls Swim Team on placing third at State! Also, congrats to Jackson Bates on first place in the 100 breaststroke race!
MS Girls Finish Season as District Runner Ups
Our middle school girls' basketball team finished their season with a close loss in the GAPPS District Championship game to earn Runner Up status. Congratulations on a great season ladies!
Put on Your Dancing Shoes
Beautiful dresses, dad's best (ie most embarrassing) dance moves, her favorite place for dinner and most importantly, time with her Daddy! Westminster Dad's, we hope you're ready because our annual Father-Daughter Dance is this Saturday, February 8th. All WCA dads and daughters, PreK through 12th, are invited and encouraged to attend.
Tickets are $10 each, not to exceed $30 per family. Registration forms are available by following this link - Father-Daughter Dance 2020 Registration. Follow this link for an information sheet that can help you as you make your plans for this special night.
Varsity Post Season Play
Both of our varsity basketball teams will compete in the region semi-finals tomorrow, Thursday, February 6th. The regional tournament is being held at Peachtree Christian Academy in Covington. WCA girls play as the #1 seed against Peachtree at 4 pm and the boys as the #2 seed also against Peachtree beginning at 8:30 pm. The regional finals and consolation games will be played on Friday with start times based on the outcome of tomorrow's competitions.
Follow the links below for the tournament brackets:
- GAPPS Division I-AA Girls Basketball Region 2 Tournament
- GAPPS Division 1-AA Boys Basketball Region 2 Tournament
Make your plans now to road trip and cheer on our Lions!
Admissions Preview Day Next Week
Our next admissions preview event is next week on Tuesday, February 11th beginning at 9 am. This event is a great opportunity to visit our campus and learn more about our mission, our students and our faculty - the things that make WCA a special place to be.
If you know of a family who is interested in learning more about Westminster, please tell them about this event. If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Laura Briscoe, Director of Admissions, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Stuff Misses You Too
I know we just emptied the bins but the children have been leaving many things in their wake! So, lost items are currently on display in the gym to be found by you or your student. Items will be available through the end of school Friday. As always, thank you for your help!
You're the best!
Thank you to everyone who came out last Friday to help celebrate Senior Night and enjoy Friday Night Hoopla! The gym was packed and the competition was fierce offering the thrill of victory and the heartbreak of defeat.
For the lower school competition, over 56 lower school kids checked in to be counted but Mrs. Breedloves 4th grade class had the most and will celebrate with a pizza party next Tuesday the 11th.
It's a First!
This year marks the first time Westminster has had a tennis team, and they are having their inaugural match this week! Tomorrow afternoon at 4 pm, our tennis team will take to the courts against Prince Avenue Christian at the Oconee Veterans Park (weather permitting). Go Lions and congratulations on starting this new tradition for WCA!
Spring Sports & Georgia Weather
The calendar indicates winter but the temperatures and the sports indicate spring! With the beginning of spring sports, we already have the threat of rain hanging over pre-season training and first matches. Please know that we will make every effort to make a decision about canceling a game/match by noon on the day of the event. This decision will then be communicated by the team's coaching staff to the parents.
Note to Parents
After-school pick up can be a chaotic time by it's very nature. Combine this with our space limitations and it can become very tricky very quickly.
We need your help to ensure the safety of all students and parents during this time. Upper School parents, please remember that from 2:45 until 3 pm you should not leave your car parked in the traffic circle. If you need to exit your vehicle during this time, please park in the parking lot. Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated and will help us keep all members of our community safe!
2020 Book Fair & Book Character Parade
Westminster will be hosting a Follett Book Fair the week of February 24th-28th from 7:30 am-3:00 pm each day in the lower school hallway. This is a great time to add to your home libraries while supporting our school library.
Last year we saw Mary Poppins, Viola Swamp, Cat in the Hat and a headless pair of pants! What will this year bring? Join us Friday morning, February 28th as we celebrate Read Across America Day with our annual Book Character Parade for lower school students. The parade will be held at 11:30 am in the traffic circle. All lower school students are encouraged to dress up as their favorite book character while we celebrate reading and parents are encouraged to attend and cheer!Thank you in advance for your support of the Westminster library, books, and reading.
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (email@example.com) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for the Kreiger family as they are walking through Anderson's (11th grade) recurrence of leukemia. Anderson is being able to be at home right now for which they are all very grateful. His treatment plan will evolve in the coming days and weeks and will ultimately include a bone marrow transplant. Please be in prayer that the right donor will be available to facilitate Anderson's healing. Sally (Teacher, 1st Grade) is posting updates and immediate prayer concerns through the Caring Bridge website. Anyone wishing to support the Kriegers during this time, please contact 1st-grade parent, Heather Watson - firstname.lastname@example.org - who is coordinating efforts. Thank you for keeping Sally, Jon, Anderson and Ian (WCA Class of 2018) in your prayers.
- Please continue to pray for our art teacher, Jackie Kirsche, as she walks through her cancer recurrence. Jackie is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments and the wonderful news is that recent test results indicate that the treatments are being effective against her cancer. Specific prayer requests are that these chemotherapy drugs will continue to prove effective against her cancer, that her side effects will be minimized and that her immune system will be protected during this time of year when germs are so easily shared. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018).
- Please be in continued prayer for Kim Hardwick, WCA teacher, who has undergone treatment for recurrent melanoma. Kim's December scans showed no sign of disease. This is a huge praise and answer to prayers! Thank you for remembering her husband, Steve and their children (Ben - Class of 2018, Anna - 11th, Cary - 8th and Ella - 6th) during this time. Kim has set up a caring bridge site where she can share information about her journey.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.