Calendar Highlights & Mark Your Calendars
|12/13 – 15||Final Exams for Upper School|
|12/13 & 14||Upper School ONLY Early Dismissal for Exams @ 11:15 am|
|12/15||End of 2nd Quarter|
|12/15||All School Early Dismissal @ 9:30 am|
|12/18 – 1/2||Christmas Break|
|1/1-3/2018||Passion Conference for Seniors~ Atlanta|
|1/3/2018||School Resumes after Christmas Break|
|1/18/2018||A Taste of High School – 8th Grade Parents, 6 pm|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive school calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
Athletic Calendar Highlights
|12/8||JV & V Swim Meet @ TKA Invitational – 4 pm|
|12/8||MS Basketball HOME vs. Prince Avenue Boys|
|Girls – 4 pm, Boys – 5 pm|
|JV Basketball HOME vs. Trinity Classical|
|Girls – 6:15 pm, Boys – 7:30 pm|
|12/9||MS & V Basketball AWAY vs. Hebron|
|MS Girls – 9 am, MS Boys – 10 am|
|V Girls – 11:30 am, V Boys – 1 pm|
|12/11||MS Basketball HOME vs. St Joseph’s|
|Girls – 4:30 pm, Boys – 5:45 pm|
|12/12||MS Boys Basketball HOME vs. Covenant Christian – 5 pm|
|12/15||MS & V Basketball HOME vs. Peachtree Academy|
|MS Girls – 4 pm, MS Boys – 5 pm|
|V Girls – 6 pm, V Boys – 7:30 pm|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive athletic calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
WCA Receives EmPOWERment Grant
Westminster Christian Academy has been awarded a grant from Walton EMC through their EmPOWERment Grant Program. This program is designed to help strengthen schools instructional programs and improve student success. WCA will use this grant to purchase interactive projectors for many of our classrooms.
We are grateful to Walton EMC for valuing the education we provide and investing in our students!
Rotary Student of the Semester
Westminster senior, Eliana Splichal, was chosen as Rotary student of the semester. Each semester, the Rotary Club of Oconee County honors one senior student per high school in the county. Students are chosen by the faculty at their school based on academic achievement, service and personal character. The Rotary Club motto is “Service Above Self”. Eliana selected Mr. Michael Hansen as her teacher of the semester.
Give the Gift of New WCA Spirit Wear
Looking for a Christmas gift for your WCA student? Or maybe just a little something for yourself? Come and shop the school store during special extended hours this Thursday, December 6 and Tuesday, December 12 from 7:30am until 9:00 am and afternoons from 2:00-3:30. There are new long sleeved shirts available that are sure to become favorite fan items as well as many cold weather items to choose from. Many of your favorites are now at reduced prices!
See you there!
It’s the Week BEFORE the Week Before Christmas Break
In other words, things you need to know for next week!
The last week of school there will be several adjustments to the normal school schedule that you need to know about so that you can plan your days accordingly.
Upper School Final Exams
The last week before our Christmas Break will be final exam week for all upper school students.
- Final exams will be administered on Wednesday the 13th through Friday the 15th.
- Follow this link to access the final exam schedule for the upper school.
Early Dismissal Days – some are for Upper School ONLY
Due to final exam week in the upper school there will be early dismissal days as follows:
On Wednesday, December 13th & Thursday, December 14th, all Upper School students (grades 6 – 12) will be dismissed at 11:15 am.
On Friday, December 15th, all students, both Upper and Lower School will be dismissed at 9:30 am to begin our Christmas Break.
Thank you for helping us make this last week of school a success!
No Lunch Bunch & After School on Friday, December 15th
There will be no lunch bunch and after school available on Friday, December 15th due to the all school early release at 9:30 am for Christmas Break.
Thank you for adjusting your plans to pick up your student(s) at the dismissal times on these days!
It’s all over except for the memories and the photos!
Fall Formal 2017
They came, they danced, they had a great time. Now the LifeTouch photos from the WCA Fall Formal 2017 are available for viewing and purchase! Please follow this link, lifetouchevents.com and enter the password – 17-18WCALIONS (all caps and no spaces).
Questions? Please contact Tollie Ediger, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class of 2018
Jostens Order Due Tomorrow!
Here we go, here we go! It’s time to place orders for your graduation cap and gown and announcements. Orders are due by tomorrow, Thursday, December 7th. A Jostens representative will be in the gym at 10:15 am to collect orders.
Class Ring Orders
Class ring orders for the Class of 2018, 2019 and 2020 (all Seniors, Juniors and Sophomores) are due by tomorrow, Thursday, December 7th. The Jostens representative will be in the gym at 10:15 a.m. to answer questions and collect orders.
Missing Some Things?
We are relentless in our pursuit of cleaning out the WCA Lost and Found! The bins are very full of very nice things you’ve purchased your student(s) and before Christmas Break, we are trying to reunite you with your things.
Please take time in the next few days to see if your family has any items in Lost and Found. The tub with missing items may be found beside the stage on the far side of the gym. At the end of next week, before we all leave for Christmas break, all unclaimed items will be taken to Goodwill. As always, thank you for your help!
“Oh, the weather outside is . . . “, in Georgia, who knows?
We’re hearing the “snow” word for the first time this season (!?!) and so it’s time to remind everyone about our inclement weather policy. Please know that in the case of inclement weather, Westminster will communicate any school/event closing, postponement or early release via text, social media and email. So, whether you’re hoping for snow or dreading the day, we will do everything we can to keep you informed!
A Taste of High School – Mark Your Calendars
All WCA eighth grade parents should mark their calendars for Thursday, January 18 for “A Taste of High School.” This event is an overview of the opportunities for our high school students and dinner will be provided. The event will begin at 6 pm in the gym and more details will be forwarded in the new year.
Intramural Basketball Registration
It is time to register for WCA’s Intramural Basketball Program that will begin the first Saturday in January, 2018. Here’s what you need to know:
- Who: Boys and Girls grades 1-5th
- When: Held on 5 Saturdays. January 6th – February 3rd, 10 am -11:30am
- Where: WCA Gym
- Cost: $75 Billed through FACTS
- Registration Deadline: Friday, December 15th. (late registrations are not guaranteed a t-shirt)
Please follow this link below to register your student(s): Intramural Basketball Registration Questions? Contact Casey Clayton, email@example.com.
WCA Student Art Exhibit at Jittery Joe’s
While you’re making your list and checking it twice, please take the opportunity to stop by the Epps Bridge Jittery Joe’s to enjoy an exhibit of Westminster student artwork and an excellent cup of coffee! The exhibit will be on display throughout the Holidays and the month of January. After the first of the year there will be an evening artist’s reception featuring live music and coffee drink specials. Watch the announcements for details in the coming weeks.
Congratulations to all students whose artistic talents are on display!
Lands’End Free Logo Promotion in December
If you need to replace outgrown or worn out uniform items, you can order from Lands’End during the month of December and take advantage of their free logo promotion. Just go to Lands’End.com and enter “Westminster Christian Academy” in the name search to access our uniform items. At checkout, manually enter the promotion code: LOGOS plus PIN: 4276.
As we go through our days, please remember the keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for the Kay family (Hannah, Maggie 10th, Rachel 12th, Tim and Andrea) as Tim and Andrea traveled to Duke University Hospital on Monday for Andrea to have endoscopic surgery on her biliary ducts. This is the sixth time for her to have this surgery. It is a delicate procedure which causes severe surgery induced pancreatitis and 3 -5 days in the hospital. The girls will be at home during this time. Specific prayer requests from Andrea include:
- Help for our girls (Hannah, Rachel and Maggie) as they remain at home. This a very stressful event at an already high pressure time of year, that they can prep adequately for finals.
- For wisdom and precision for my doctor as he performs the surgery.
- For rapid post surgery recovery and for my pancreatitis to not be severe.
- For Tim and I to bear a joyful testimony of our Lord Jesus to all of my medical team.
- Please continue to be in prayer for Mark Mills and Tara Merritt (Nathan (6th), Parker (1st)) with regards to several events that are happening in their life right now.
- Prayers are requested for Mark as he continues treatment after surgery for thyroid cancer. The final pathology showed that it was the same type of cancer they saw on the biopsy and all of the margins were clear. Mark will undergo radioactive iodine treatment and has been given an excellent prognosis for cure.
- Prayers for Tara’s niece, Shannon O’Brien aged 23, who is hospitalized recovering from lung transplant surgery. She is improving, awake and doing much better. She was even able to sit up and take a couple of steps with the physical therapist. She is fighting an infection of some nature but has overall turned the corder and “making great progress”.
- Mark’s aging parents have chosen to stay at their home in El Valle, Panama, to live out their days instead of coming to the states. This is a remote region where they will have limited nursing care available to them. Specifically, please pray that Mark and Tara will have peace and acceptance for God’s plan for his parents and that God would watch over their days in Panama.
- Thank you for your prayers for my, Tami Butts (Patrick 9th and Rachel 2nd), mother as she recovers from triple bypass surgery. She is home with a new medicine regimen that appears to be working and is slowly regaining her strength.
- Please continue to pray for Sabrina Garcia (Noah, 11th and Jacob, 9th) and her family. Sabrina’s recovery is going very well in so many ways and the coming months long term treatment plans will be developed if needed. Pray for her continued strengthening and her medical team as they make decisions for her future treatments.
- Anderson Krieger (9th grade) and his family, as he continues his treatment for recurrent leukemia. Anderson has completed the last intense phase of treatment and is moving into the maintenance phase! He hopes to be able to return to school full-time after Christmas. For the most recent updates and specific prayer needs, please follow Sally on social media.
- Brent Weatherly and his family. You can follow his journey and receive specific prayer requests. http://dbw26.wordpress.com.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission, of the family.