Calendar Highlights & Mark Your Calendars
|9/1||College Colors Day|
|Intramural Soccer 5:30 – 7:00 pm|
|9/4||Labor Day Holiday – School Closed|
|9/6||PROBE College Fair Athens 2017|
|9/8||Cap for a Cure Fundraiser Begins|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive school calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
Athletic Calendar Highlights
August 30th – September 7th
|8/31||XC AWAY vs. GMC Prep – 4:00 pm|
|V Volleyball HOME vs. Gatewood – 5:00 pm|
|9/1||V Volleyball HOME vs. Lyndon Academy – 6:30 pm|
|9/5||JV Volleyball AWAY vs. Dawson Christian – 5:00 pm|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive athletic calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
College Colors Day this Friday, September 1st
The United States of College Football . . .
To some people, it’s the best time of the year . . . . the beginning of college football season! To kick off opening weekend of the 2017 season, WCA is holding our annual College Colors Day. No matter which school holds your allegiance, we want to see you dressed in your favorite team’s colors this Friday, September 1st. Both upper school and lower school students may wear their college colors along with school approved bottoms. (For upper school, bottoms must follow Casual Friday guidelines as usual; for lower school, jeans or non-uniform bottoms (meeting uniform length guidelines) may be worn.) We look forward to seeing you sporting your colors!
Labor Day Holiday 2017
Westminster will be closed on Monday, September 4th in observance of the Labor Day Holiday. Enjoy this last vestige of summertime with your family and be safe! School will re-open on Tuesday the 5th.
Cap for a Cure – Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and we are excited to partner with CURE to help find a cure for childhood cancer. As you know, we have several Westminster students that are either currently fighting childhood cancer or are in remission.
Beginning Friday, September 8th, students will have the option to wear a “Cap for a Cure” each Friday through September 28th by donating $1 each week. Let’s show our support of Westminster students and help provide funding for childhood cancer research!
WCA School Store Re-Stocked
The school store is re-stocked with all sizes of PE Uniforms and fan favorite “We Are Westminster” shirts. The store is open in the upper school gym on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:30 – 8:15 am for purchases and exchanges. Store purchases may be paid for by cash, check or credit card only.
Field Trip Permission Form – We need yours by this Friday!
If you have not yet submitted a Field Trip Permission Form for your child(ren), please print Field Trip Permission Form 2017-2018 , and return to the school office by Friday, September 1st. Each family only needs to complete one form and this will be used for all trips throughout the school year. Students who do not have this form on file will not be allowed to attend field trips. Thank you for your assistance with this!
Volunteer Driver Form
During the school year, if you are interested in volunteering to drive for a field trip and/or athletic event, a Volunteer Driver Form must be completed and turned in to the office by Friday, September 15th. Please note that a copy of your driver’s license and auto insurance card must be submitted with the form. You may print out a copy of the form by following the link below or pick up a copy from the school office.
One Act Cast 2017 Announced
Congratulations to the WCA 2017 One Act cast! Cast members will be presenting The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare. The team will compete at the regional level on October 31st.
Middle School Robotics Team 2017-2018
The Middle School Robotics team will start up for this year on Wednesday, September 6th. The team will meet on Wednesdays from 2:35 -4:00 pm in the basement of the administrative building. The participation fee is $125.00 per student and interested students should sign-up on the bulletin board in the gym. For additional information, please contact Sandy Stowe, email@example.com.
PROBE College Fair Athens 2017
Calling all 8th – 12th grade students and parents . . . would you like to know more about college admissions? Then make your plans to attend the PROBE Fair on Wednesday, September 6th from 6 – 8 pm at the Classic Center in Athens. Over 100 colleges and universities from across the United States will be available to talk with you about their school.
Students are encouraged to pre-register for the Athens PROBE Fair at GoToCollegeFairs.com. While pre-registration is not required, doing so will give each student a unique bar code allowing college representatives to quickly capture their information during the fair and leave more time for productive conversations with college representatives. Students can then receive timely information about admissions, scholarships, financial aid and visitation days.
Parent Volunteers for US Retreat
Have you been considering joining the parent work crew for the upper school retreat? Well, we still have a couple of spots to fill by interested and available parents. This year’s upper school retreat is coming up on September 27th – 29th for all students in grades 6 – 12. The retreat is held at the beautiful YoungLife camp, Sharp Top Cove in Jasper, GA and we are still in need of a few more parents to serve on the work crew for this event. The primary duties of work crew members are meal preparation, set-up and clean-up. If you are interested in being a parent volunteer for the retreat, please contact Tollie Ediger, firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for considering this opportunity to serve our community and participate in this amazing event!
The WCA art department is in need of parent volunteers for this school year. These volunteers would assist Mrs. Kirsche in hanging exhibits both at school and in the community. This would typically be scheduled immediately after school, once or twice a month. Any parents interested please contact Jackie Kirsche at email@example.com.
St. Mary’s Camp Nokose
St. Mary’s Hospice is hosting a one day bereavement camp for children who have lost a loved one significant to them. The camp will be held on Saturday, September 30th at Sandy Creek Park and is open to children ages 6 – 12. For additional details and registration form, please follow this link, Camp Nokose.
As we go through our days, please remember the keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for Mark Mills (Nathan (6th), Parker (1st) and wife, Tara Merritt) as he is currently in Panama to care for his aging parents. His mother has only days to live and there is no hospice or anything like it in the remote mountains of Panama where they live in el Valle. Mark’s father will no longer be able to live in Panama on his own due to ailing health combined with memory problems and will be coming to live with Mark and Tara. The family requests prayers for strength and comfort for the coming days.
- Please continue to pray for the Benoff family, Abigail (5th), Andrew (8th), Kierstin (class of 2016) and parents Michelle (K aide) and Jacob. The children are doing well but are recovering from injuries they received in last week’s car accident.
- Please continue to keep Sabrina Garcia (Noah, 11th and Jacob, 9th) and her family in your prayers as she is in the hospital at Emory with kidney and liver health issues. Sabrina’s sister in law, Sam Teschner, is coordinating communication for the family. If you would like to contact her directly, her email address is, email@example.com. If you would like to help the family, please see the update below from Monday, August 28th, which includes a couple of ways we could contribute during this time.
Good evening! I wanted to give everyone a quick update on Sabrina. Thanks to all of you that continue to reach out with well wishes!
Sabrina celebrated her birthday yesterday with her family! The ICU team (who we have gotten to know very well at this point to say the least) even let them bring in balloons for a short time. For everyone that posted birthday wishes on Facebook or sent via email, thank you so much and know that we are sharing them with her.
Sabrina keeps getting stronger, and depending on how Monday’s dialysis goes, they might consider a move out of the ICU sometime this week. We will keep you all posted. Once that happens, we will set up a calendar for those who want to visit at Emory Hospital – we don’t want to overwhelm her but are so excited for those of you that would like to visit to be able to do so.
For everyone asking about ways to help, we have two….
1) The SOS page is always available to accept donations to help cover outstanding vet bills. http://www.soslabrescue.org/ Just a reminder that donations through the SOS website are tax-deductible.
2) We have also established a GO FUND ME page to help the family. The money raised will go towards weekly house cleanings and small repairs for the next few months. We want to allow the kids to focus on school and family. And to ensure when Sabrina returns home it is to a sterile and healthy environment to avoid risk of infections. https://www.gofundme.com/garcia-family-house-needs
As always, let me know of any suggestions or concerns.
Thanks to all!
- Anderson Krieger (9th grade) and his family, as he continues his treatment for recurrent leukemia and strength for his days as he is able to attend school part-time.
- Brent Weatherly and his family. You can follow his journey and receive specific prayer requests. http://dbw26.wordpress.com.