This Week at WCA, February 12th
Regions Champs & the Quarterfinals
Both Varsity basketball teams are Region Champions! The boys earned their title with exciting wins over Peachtree Christian and Killian Hills and the girls won handily over Peachtree Christian followed by a weather-related forfeit by Lanier. Either way, the resulting title is well earned and celebrated. Great job players and coaches!
Next up are the state quarterfinals played this weekend at Central Georgia Tech in Macon:
- Friday - 2/14, 8:30 pm - Varsity Girls vs. Sherwood Christian Academy
- Saturday - 2/15, 8:30 pm - Varsity Boys vs. Griffin Christian School
Follow the links below to access state tournament brackets:
Join us in Macon to cheer on our Lions!
GAPPS Elementary Academic Day
Last week, students from WCA's lower school attended the GAPPS Elementary Academic Day with amazing results! Students had a great time competing in the areas of quiz bowl, spelling bee, geography bee and math team. Congratulations to all students on representing our school so well!
- Quiz Bowl - 1st placeAllie Thaxton, Samuel Chapman, Eli Middleton, Jake Peacock, Asher Arnold, and Maggie Ediger
- Spelling Bee: 3rd grade: Foster Bateman (2nd place), Salley Smoak; 4th grade: Harris McMullan (1st place), Nathan Roberts
- Math Team: 3rd grade: Eli Azzolin (2nd place), Jane Fairman, Cole Shannon; 4th grade: Colin Nesbit (1st place), David Norris, Harmon Sopt, David Tingle; 5th grade: Eli Middleton (1st place), Jake Peacock (tied for 3rd), Samuel Chapman (tied for 3rd), Allie Thaxton
- Spelling Bee: 1st grade: Beck Needham (2nd place), Ryan Pruett; 2nd grade: Sam Butler (1st place), Elliot Sanders
Winter Break 2020
After a few weeks of sharing sicknesses and intense studies, it seems we will all appreciate a few days off from the routine!
Westminster will be closed this Friday, Monday and Tuesday (the 14th, 17th & 18th) for our Winter Break. The school will resume normal operations on Wednesday the 19th.
2020 Book Fair
Westminster will be hosting a Follett Book Fair the week of February 24th-28th from 7:30 am-3:00 pm each day in the lower school hallway. This is a great time to add to your home libraries while supporting our school library.
Book Character Parade
Last year we saw Mary Poppins, Viola Swamp, Cat in the Hat and a headless pair of pants! What will this year bring? Join us Friday morning, February 28th as we celebrate Read Across America Day with our annual Book Character Parade for lower school students. The parade will be held at 11:30 am in the traffic circle. All lower school students are encouraged to dress up as their favorite book character while we celebrate reading and parents are encouraged to attend and cheer! Thank you in advance for your support of the Westminster library, books, and reading.
Spring Sports & Georgia Weather
The calendar indicates winter but the temperatures and the sports indicate spring! With the beginning of spring sports, we already have the threat of rain hanging over pre-season training and first matches. Please know that we will make every effort to make a decision about canceling a game/match by noon on the day of the event. This decision will then be communicated by the team's coaching staff to the parents.
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for the Kreiger family as they are walking through Anderson's (11th grade) recurrence of leukemia. Anderson is being able to be at home right now for which they are all very grateful. His treatment plan will evolve in the coming days and weeks and will ultimately include a bone marrow transplant. Please be in prayer that the right donor will be available to facilitate Anderson's healing. Sally (Teacher, 1st Grade) is posting updates and immediate prayer concerns through the Caring Bridge website. Anyone wishing to support the Kriegers during this time, please contact 1st-grade parent, Heather Watson - email@example.com - who is coordinating efforts. Thank you for keeping Sally, Jon, Anderson and Ian (WCA Class of 2018) in your prayers.
- Please continue to pray for our art teacher, Jackie Kirsche, as she walks through her cancer recurrence. Jackie is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments and the wonderful news is that recent test results indicate that the treatments are being effective against her cancer. Specific prayer requests are that these chemotherapy drugs will continue to prove effective against her cancer, that her side effects will be minimized and that her immune system will be protected during this time of year when germs are so easily shared. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018).
- Please be in continued prayer for Kim Hardwick, WCA teacher, who has undergone treatment for recurrent melanoma. Kim's December scans showed no sign of disease. This is a huge praise and answer to prayers! Thank you for remembering her husband, Steve and their children (Ben - Class of 2018, Anna - 11th, Cary - 8th and Ella - 6th) during this time. Kim has set up a caring bridge site where she can share information about her journey.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.