This Week at WCA - May 4, 2022
Varsity Boys Soccer Advance to State Championship!
With Tuesday's win against Konos Academy, our varsity boys soccer team have earned their place in this weekend's state championship game! The game will be played Saturday, May 7th against The King's Academy at 2:30 pm in Peachtree City. For GAPPS Division 1-AA bracket information including address for Saturday's game, please follow this link. Congratulations to all players and coaches for your success. We are excited to cheer you on to a second varsity boys soccer state title! For a highlight video from Tuesday's game, please click here. Go Lions!
Diamond Lions Play in Semi-Final Round of Playoffs
Our varsity baseball team is competing in the GAPPS state semi-finals this week against Calvary Christian! The first game of Friday's double header begins at 2 pm at WCA. There will be a third game if needed on Saturday. Please know that if the weather doesn't cooperate and there is a rain delay, games will be played on Saturday beginning at 1 pm. For bracket information, please follow this link. Congratulations to all players and coaches for achieving this level of success and it's fun to watch you succeed! Go Lions!
College Colors Day for Class of 2022
Congratulations to our senior class for all their hard work as they finish up their time on campus this week. Yesterday, they wore a t-shirt showing us where they will be next. We can't wait to see what's next for the WCA Class of 2022!
High School Visual Arts @ State
WCA art students competed in the GAPPS Visual Arts State competition last week and finished in third place overall! Individual student works received the following placements:
Printmaking: Isaac Heydinger, first place; Ansley Griffin, second place
Sculpture: Peyton Sanders, third place
Color Photography: Becket Daniel, fourth place
Expressing Faith Through Art: Rhema Arnold, second place; Hannah Torres, fourth place
To see photos of our students artwork, please follow this link. Congratulations to all artists and Mrs. Kirsche!
Celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week @ WCA
The WCA Parents Association is preparing to honor our faculty during Teacher Appreciation Week, next week, May 9th through 13th. (Please note that these dates do not coincide with the National Teacher Appreciation week this year.) There will be something special to celebrate the teachers every day. Please follow this link to see what is planned for the week.
Additionally, the parents association would like to encourage students and parents to help celebrate our teachers and staff. Some ideas are to give teachers a handwritten note or card, bring a flower or yummy treat, or simply tell their teachers thank you and we thank you in advance for helping us celebrate our amazing faculty!
Muffins with Mom
Our Lower School students will be celebrating their Moms this Friday, May 6th with our Muffins with Mom event. Please make your plans to join your child(ren) in their classrooms from 7:45 until 8:15 am where you will be honored while enjoying a yummy muffin and time with your child(ren). If Mom cannot make it, feel free to send a grandmother, aunt or big sister.
Note about parking: If the lower lot is full, please drive to the upper gravel lot for additional parking. There will be parking attendants to assist you.
Look forward to seeing you there!
Upper School Academic Awards Day
At the end of each school year, Westminster recognizes the academic achievement of our students. Awards are given for the highest average in each academic subject and for notable success and/or improvement over the course of the school year. (Please note that these awards are separate from semester Honor Roll achievement.)
Academic Awards Day will take place on Tuesday, May 10. The middle school awards will be presented from 8:05 - 9:00 a.m. in the gym. The high school awards will follow from 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. Invitations have been mailed to parents. To see a list by grade of students receiving awards, please follow the links below:
Upper School Finals Week
Final exam week (May 18-20) is coming up quickly for our upper school students! In preparation, please see the information below and contact Kelly Cole with any questions.
Upper School Final Exams: Things to Know
- Follow this link to access the final exam schedule. Please note the times and locations of exams - C classrooms are in the gym, F classrooms are in the field house and M classrooms are in the modular buildings.
- Dress for the three days of exams will follow casual Friday guidelines. Please remember that casual dress during exams is a privilege. We want to continue to follow our dress code standards well until that time.
- Exam days are early dismissal days for all upper school students. Students will be finished with exams at 11:15 am on Wednesday and Thursday and 9:35 am on Friday. Learning Support Students schedules are different please contact Keyla Carson with any questions.
- Students must be picked up when exams are over unless they have practice right after school.
- 6th and 7th grade students do not have exams on Friday, so those students should stay home that day.
FACTS Accounts ~ Please take a look.
With the end of the school year quickly approaching, we are trying to be sure FACTS accounts are up to date before we start the new year in June. Please take a look at your FACTS tuition and incidental accounts to be sure that any outstanding charges are either paid or are scheduled to be paid. Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated! If you have questions, please contact Tami Butts.
Lunch Bunch & After School
We are happy to be able to offer our extended day programs to our parents who need additional childcare. LunchBunch (pre-k and half-day kindergarten) begins at noon and ends at 2:45, and AfterSchool (all lower school) begins at 2:45 with pick-up at 5:15 pm.
Extended Care Reminders:
- Please remember that pre-registration (see process below) is needed for extended day programs. There are a limited number of spaces available for each day. If you haven't pre-registered, and we reach our maximum number of students, your child will be unable to stay.
- Additionally, please remember that a student in extended care may only be signed out by someone who is of driving age or older.
- **Emergency contact form must be completed and returned before a child can stay for LunchBunch or AfterSchool. Please follow this link for the form.**
- Charges will be billed to your FACTS account on a monthly basis on the 15th of the month for the previous month.
- Please know that effective immediately, there will be a $10 fee for all late pickups. Pick-up time is by 5:15 pm. Thank you for your understanding and assistance.
How do I sign up?
- Click the link: Lunch Bunch & After School Registration
- Click the date your child will need to attend. If your child will attend every day of the month, or the same days each week, you may select "repeats" and choose daily or weekly. If Lunch Bunch or After School reach max capacity, you will see a red message that says "FULL" on the day.
- Click on the "Calendar" box and select "LB/AS SIGN UP"
- Type student name(s) into the "Who" box
- Type LB for Lunch Bunch, AS for After School or LB/AS for Both
Please contact coordinator Alicia Larson - firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-858-4074 - with questions regarding Lunch Bunch or After School.
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA family in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (email@example.com) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
Please be in prayer for our upper school art teacher, Jackie Kirsche. She is experiencing a recurrence of her ovarian cancer and will be beginning treatment next week on April 20th. Prayers for the the lack of complications and the effectiveness of the treatment are much appreciated. Jackie will be continuing to work during this time hoping to only miss as treatment days require. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018) with your prayers during this time.
Please be in prayer for Konda Johnson (Grace - 10th, Hollan - Class of 2019) as she walks through the next stage of her journey with recurrent metastatic cholangiocarcinoma cancer. She is beginning a new treatment in the form of a pill that has recently been approved and will be closely monitored as treatment progresses. It is called targeted therapy which targets only the cancer and there is great hope that this will be successful. Prayers are requested and greatly appreciated for Konda and her family as she faithfully continues this journey.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.