WCA Weekly News & Announcements August 28th
Show us your colors!
Who do you love to cheer for? Whether your team is in the preferred red and black or they sport orange or even crimson, we want to see you showing your team pride!
This Friday, August 30th, we celebrate the kick-off of college football season with our annual College Colors Day. Please know that college colors clothing should follow Casual Friday or Spirit Wear Day guidelines.
Mark your calendars to be sure you don't miss our first Connection Cafe coming up on Friday, September 6th at 7:50 am in the Administration Building. This event is designed to be an avenue of communication with our families regarding programs and initiatives at Westminster. And, of course, this is best done over a good cup of coffee!
At this first meeting, Mr. Clark will be sharing with you plans for the expansion of our campus and facilities. Please join us to learn more about the exciting opportunities for our school and community. We look forward to seeing you there!
Intramural Soccer - Sign Up Now!
The deadline for signing up for WCA Intramural Soccer is this Friday, August 30th, so sign up now and don't miss out on the Friday night fun!
This five week soccer training program for students K - 5th is designed to teach the fundamentals of soccer while having a great time. Sessions will be held on Friday nights September 6th - October 4th. (Skipping September 27th due to SharpTop) Participants are requested to bring their own ball and be ready to work hard and play hard. Participation fee is $60 and will be billed to parents' FACTS account.
Registration is now available online by following the link below. Again, the deadline to register is August 30th.
Please submit one registration for each participating student.
WCA is excited about the addition of tennis to our athletic program this year. Tennis Coach, Daniel Madden, will be holding an informational meeting next Wednesday, September 4th for all interested students. The meeting will be held immediately following the end of the school-day in Coach Madden's classroom.
Order Your Yearbook Today
Don't miss out. Order your yearbook(s) online today! Yearbooks must be ordered in advance and are not available for last minute purchase. The cost is $70 per yearbook and for your convenience, Jostens' offers a split payment option at checkout if desired.
The deadline for placing your yearbook order is September 27th. Follow the link below to order yours today and mark this off your "to-do" list!
Caps for a Cure
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and that means it's time for our Caps for a Cure fundraiser. This school-wide event raises money to benefit the CURE Childhood Cancer non-profit organization. CURE is dedicated to conquering childhood cancer through targeted research while supporting patients and their families.
From September 10th -13th (Tuesday - Friday; Monday is school picture day) all lower school and upper school student's may pay $1 a day to wear a cap to school. So grab your favorite cap to crown your head and raise money for this most noble cause!
Parents' Prayer Time
One of the most important things we can do for our community is to cover it with prayer. A group of WCA parents meets once a week to do just that - pray for our students, faculty, staff and families.
All Westminster parents are invited to join together on Thursday mornings beginning September 5th. This time of prayer is held in the Tech Lab (located in the administrative building) beginning at 7:35 and ending at 8:00. Can't make it every week? Then please come whenever your schedule allows. Your presence will be greatly appreciated!
WCA Parent Association Update
One of the functions of WCA's parent association is to show our teacher's how much we appreciate them with special events throughout the year. Families are requested to donate $10 per family to the Teacher Appreciation Fund. If you have already donated we thank you! If not and you would like to, you may either send your donations to the school office designated for "Teacher Appreciation" or email Amy Chisholm, email@example.com, if you would like your FACTS account to be billed.
There are several school-wide events organized by the parent association where volunteers are needed. These events include Grandparents' Day, Book Fair and Field Day. If you would like to help with one of these events, please contact Amy Chisholm, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Probe Fair in Athens
The Probe College Fair is coming to Athens Thursday, September 5th at the Classic Center downtown. The Probe Fair brings together colleges and universities from across the country so this is a great opportunity for college-bound students to learn more about the schools they may not normally encounter. The fair will be held from 6 to 8 pm. For more information, please contact Kelly Cole, email@example.com.
Help Earn Donations for WCA
We all have to shop and when you do, you can use your purchases to earn donations for WCA. Companies such as Publix, Kroger and Amazon donate monies to our school based on your purchases. Please take a moment to be sure your donation dollars from these companies are designated to WCA. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!
- Sign up for a Publix.com account.
- Go to your settings and select Westminster Christian Academy as your PublixPartner.
- Simply enter your phone number at checkout.
Kroger Community Rewards:
- Have a Kroger Plus card.
- Sign in to your account at Kroger.com Community Rewards
- Follow prompts to link your Kroger Plus Card to Westminster Christian Academy.
- Support WCA by shopping on AmazonSmile.com (not Amazon.com) and designating our school as your donation recipient.
- Use this link to support WCA on Amazon - AmazonSmile WCA
- Enjoy shopping as usual and earn donation dollars for WCA!
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in continued prayer for Kim Hardwick, WCA teacher, who has undergone treatment for recurrent melanoma. Following successful treatment, Kim is having scans every three months to verify the absence of disease. Her next scan is in September. Thank you for remembering her husband, Steve and their children (Ben - Class of 2018, Anna - 11th, Cary - 8th and Ella - 4th) during this time. Kim has set up a caring bridge site where she can share information about her journey. Caring Bridge for Kim Hardwick
- Please continue to pray for our art teacher, Jackie Kirsche, as she walks through her cancer journey. Her treatments have been very successful. She is currently being closely monitored for any changes in her tumor markers which might require further treatment. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018).
- Please be in continued prayer for Brent Weatherly and his family as he battles cancer. You can follow his journey and receive specific prayer requests by subscribing to his blog - http://dbw26.wordpress.com.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.