This Week at WCA, February 26th
It's been an exciting week!
Happening Now - 2020 Book Fair
This week the lower school hallway is full of books to capture the students' imagination. Westminster is hosting a Follett Book Fair all this week, February 24th-28th, from 7:30 am-3:00 pm each day in the lower school hallway.
Make your plans now to stop by and explore with your elementary student. This is a great time to add to your home libraries while supporting our school library.
Celebrate Seuss with a Parade!
Last year we saw Mary Poppins, Viola Swamp, Cat in the Hat and a headless pair of pants! What will this year bring?
Join us Friday morning, February 28th as we celebrate Read Across America Day in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday with our annual lower school Book Character Parade. The parade will be held at 11:30 am in the traffic circle. All lower school students are encouraged to dress up as their favorite book character while we celebrate reading and parents are encouraged to attend and cheer!
Thank you in advance for your support of the Westminster library, books, and reading.
March Lunches - Deadline Tonight
March is a long month. Take one thing off your "to-do" list by ordering lunches for your student(s) from our local vendors! Please know that the deadline for placing orders for March lunches is tonight at midnight.
First time placing an order? Here's what you need to know:
- Go to Boonli.com
- Click the link to "Register" at the top of the page
- Enter the password for our school - WCA319
- Follow prompts to complete your registration including profiles for each of your students.
- Order lunches for each student. (lunches are ordered by the month in advance)
- Be sure to go to checkout and pay after you've made your selections. Your order is not placed until it's paid for!
If you have any questions about this process, please contact Tami Butts - firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAT @ WCA for 10th & 11th Graders
The SAT: 10th and 11th graders need to take it and here's an opportunity to take it at "home". The SAT Test will be given on Tuesday, April 28th at Westminster to all 10th and 11th grade students who want to take the test. Students are known to test better in a known and comfortable setting, and we are excited to be able to offer this option to our families.
Things to Know:
- The test is the same as the SAT that is given on Saturdays.
- We are giving the SAT without the essay.
- Cost is $46
- Testing is from 7:45 am – 12:30 pm and students may leave for the day when testing is finished.
- You do not have to sign up through the College Board, WCA will handle all registration.
- Students can prepare through Khan Academy using their PSAT scores as a baseline. This is very beneficial in preparing for the exam.
- The deadline for responding is next Friday, March 6th.
- Your FACTS account will be charged for testing.
- Follow this link to respond regarding participation: SAT @ WCA - April 28th - Participation Y/N
We are hoping that this service will be helpful for you and your family. Please contact Kelly Cole, email@example.com, if you have any questions.
Weather-Related Sports Cancellations
On any given day (especially recently), Spring weather conditions may look questionable for a scheduled game or match. Please know that a decision will be made as soon as possible when an event needs to be re-scheduled. You can get information by checking the school calendar which will be updated with any weather-related changes. Also, coaches will be communicating directly with parents and players. Thanks for your patience as we navigate the weather.
Preparing for the Dominican
The WCA Senior class will be traveling to the Dominican Republic to serve on a short-term missions trip March 27th - April 4th. One of the most impactful things the team does is to go door to door distributing gift bags. This close, personal contact provides our students with amazing opportunities to visit and pray with the local people.
In order to fill the 100 bags the team is taking to the Dominican, your help is needed. The gift bags are filled with useful items such as toothpaste and wash clothes along with a couple of fun items like candies and hair bands. To sign up to donate items, please follow the link below:
For additional details on this part of the mission trip, please follow this link for a letter from team leader, Tiffany Haymore.
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for the Kreiger family as they are walking through Anderson's (11th grade) recurrence of leukemia. Anderson has begun the process of receiving CAR-T cell therapy which engineers his own cells to fight the leukemia cells. While he waits for this process, Anderson will be continuing chemotherapy treatments. Sally (Teacher, 1st Grade) has decided to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the year. She is posting updates and immediate prayer concerns through the Caring Bridge website and on the Facebook page, Team Anderson. Thank you for keeping Sally, Jon, Anderson and Ian (WCA Class of 2018) in your prayers.
- Please continue to pray for our art teacher, Jackie Kirsche, as she walks through her cancer recurrence. Jackie is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments which are thankfully being effective against her cancer! She will be finished with this round of treatments by the middle of March as long as her treatments stay on track. Specific prayer requests are that her body continues to tolerate the treatments with minimal side effects and that she is protected from germs during this time of the year when they are so easily shared. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018).
- Please be in continued prayer for Kim Hardwick, WCA teacher, who has undergone treatment for recurrent melanoma. Kim is being scanned every three months with her last scans in December showing no sign of disease! Thank you for remembering her husband, Steve and their children (Ben - Class of 2018, Anna - 11th, Cary - 8th and Ella - 6th) during this time. Kim has set up a caring bridge site where she can share information about her journey.
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.