This Week at WCA November 13th
Connection Cafe - This Friday
"How to Effectively Parent in the Year 2019 - Leading Generation Z to become all that God desires for them to be."
Join us for WCA's next Connection Café this Friday, November 15 at 7:50 am in the Administration Building. Head of School, Jared Clark, will share with you some of the latest very thought provoking research regarding Generation Z (students born between 2001-2018) and how we can effectively parent this generation of students.
December Lunch Orders - Boonli.com Now Open
You are not wrong. We did just go through this process for November but because of Thanksgiving Break, it's time to order lunches for December! Boonli.com is now open for your lunch orders and the deadline will be next Wednesday, November 20th at midnight.
If this is your first time placing an order, please follow these steps:
- Go to Boonli.com
- Click the link to "Register" at the top of the page
- Enter the password for our school - WCA319
- Follow prompts to complete your registration including profiles for each of your students.
- Order lunches for each student. (lunches are ordered by the month in advance)
- Be sure to go to checkout and pay after you've made your selections. Your order is not placed until it's paid for!
If you have any questions about this process, please contact Tami Butts - email@example.com.
PSAT Testing Day - 8th & 9th
WCA 8th and 9th grade students will be taking the PSAT this Friday the 15th of November. Please note that this will be an early dismissal day for 8th and 9th grade students. Here's what you need to know:
- Students should arrive at school by 7:45 am.
- Regular test-takers will be finished by 11:30 and will be dismissed to go home at that time.
- Extended time test takers should be done around noon and may leave at that time.
- Students will need to bring #2 pencils and an approved calculator.
Please contact Kelly Cole, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions.
HS Quiz Bowl Practice
Practice makes perfect, so they say! For students participating in the High School Quiz Bowl, practices attaining near-perfection will be held on Monday and Thursday mornings at 7:15 am in Mrs. Gamble's room.
OCC Packing Day Next Week - Are your donations in?
Have you signed up yet to donate items for this year's Operation Christmas Child Boxing Day? WCA lower school students will be packing boxes during the school-day on Friday, November 22nd. Your child will pack a shoebox for a child their age as we partner with Samaritan’s Purse and Operation Christmas Child to reach the nations for Christ. We will convert the library into a festive packing station.
This year's goal is to pack and pray over 300 boxes! Will you help us reach this goal by signing up to donate items for this project? We will supply the box, but we need your help to fill them. Items may be brought to school any time -- ideally by November 19th. Follow the link below to sign up for your donation:
Contact WCA Parent Ali Gilliam email@example.com or Tiffany Rasmussen firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. The children have so much fun packing these boxes! You are welcome to join us!
Taste of High School for Parents of 8th Graders
Our first Taste of High School event, for parents of current 8th graders, is scheduled for Thursday, November 21st, from 7:30-8:30 a.m. in the Tech Lab. Breakfast will be served.
If you can't make it to this one, there are two more opportunities -- Thursday, Dec. 12 from 11:30-12:30 (lunch included) and Friday, Jan. 10 from 7:30-8:30 a.m. (breakfast included). Use the following link to sign up for the time that best suits you.
Questions? Contact Tollie Ediger (email@example.com).
Christmas Concert & Grandparents Day
If you've been in any store recently then you know that the Christmas Season is upon us and that means it will soon be time for our annual WCA Christmas Program! Mark your calendars now for this year's event which will be on Thursday, December 5th at 6:30 pm. This program is a chance for our school to celebrate the birth of Christ through music and is a particularly special way to begin the Holidays.
The following Friday, December 6th, we will have Grandparent's Day, which is an opportunity to invite grandparents to experience school with their grandchildren! We will have a few different musical selections to present to the Grandparents and students will take them to their classes as well. We hope everyone's grandparents can attend both of these wonderful events!
As we go through our days, please remember to keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- After courageously fighting cancer for almost 7 years, Brent Weatherly passed away Tuesday night and is restored. Please pray for his wife Kim, and their children Joy, Caroline (11th), Samantha (NOHS 11th) and Owen (9th) as they begin to grieve this tremendous loss.
- Visitation will be Friday, November 15th at Lord and Stephens in Watkinsville (Time TBA)
- The funeral will be held at Redeemer Presbyterian on Saturday, November 16th, at 11 am. There will be a reception following the service at the church.
- Anyone who would like to do something to help the family at this time could give gift cards for take-out dinner. Some suggestions might be Barberitos, Publix, Doughby's etc. and Watkinsville restaurants might be the most convenient for them. Please include any gift cards in a note and bring them to the school office where they can be picked up by Caroline or Owen. There will be a meal train sign up that will begin in the near future. If you have questions, please contact Susan Snyder, email@example.com.
- Please follow this link to read the notice from the Weatherly's church regarding Brent's passing - Redeemer - Brent Weatherly Notification
- Please be in prayer for WCA parent, Jeannie Shannon, (Alex - Class of 2018, Abi - 11th and Cole - 3rd) as she is treated for ongoing cardiac issues. Jeannie has been in and out of the hospital over the past few months dealing with problems related to the electrical system that regulates a steady heartbeat. She has undergone multiple surgeries and continues to endure complications. Please pray for her and her family during this uncertain time and her medical team as they work to restore her health.
- Please be in continued prayer for Kim Hardwick, WCA teacher, who has undergone treatment for recurrent melanoma. Following successful treatment, Kim is having scans every three months to verify the absence of disease. There is much to be thankful for as her most recent scans in September showed no evidence of disease! Thank you for remembering her husband, Steve and their children (Ben - Class of 2018, Anna - 11th, Cary - 8th and Ella - 6th) during this time. Kim has set up a caring bridge site where she can share information about her journey. Caring Bridge for Kim Hardwick
- Please continue to pray for our art teacher, Jackie Kirsche, as she walks through her cancer journey. Jackie's most recent scans showed a recurrence of her disease. She has begun immunotherapy treatments and will be receiving infusions every 3 weeks for the next couple of months. The doctors will be closely monitoring her to gauge the success of these new treatments and make adjustments if needed. Thank you for remembering Jackie, her husband Kevin and children Berkley (class of 2013), Sierra (class of 2016) and Hadley (class of 2018).
Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission of the family.