Calendar Highlights & Mark Your Calendars
|9/29||Final Day for Cap for a Cure Fundraiser – Finish Strong!|
|10/2 – 6||Scholastic Book Fair – Saddle Up and Read!|
|10/4||School & Fall Sports Picture Day|
|10/6||NHS/Beta Club Blood Drive|
|10/11||PSAT – Grades 8 – 11, more details coming soon|
|10/16||Admissions Preview Day – 9 am|
|10/18||Early Dismissal for Parent Teacher Conferences|
|10/26||“Tech Savvy Parenting” Workshop – 6:30 pm|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive school calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
Athletic Calendar Highlights
September 27th – Oct 4th
|10/2||XC Lions HOME Meet II – 4 pm|
|10/3||JV Volleyball HOME vs. Dawson – 5 pm|
|V Volleyball AWAY vs. Barnes Academy – 4:30 pm|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive athletic calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
WCA Upper School Impact Retreat 2017
Not quite herding cats but not far from it either! This morning on campus there was truly excitment in the air as our upper school prepared to depart for Impact Retreat 2017. Here are some images from their departure this afternoon. Many prayers surround these precious young people, our talented and giving faculty and parents and the bus drivers!
WCA School Store Closed this Thursday
The school store will not be open tomorrow, Thursday, September 28th due to the upper school retreat. Come and see us next Tuesday or Thursday at our regular time, 7:30 – 8:15 am. Thank you!
They’re Back! Upper School Student’s return from retreat on Friday.
Maybe a little tired, maybe a little grumpy around the edges, but we’ll be happy to see them! Upper school students will be returning from the retreat this Friday, September 29th, around 1:30 pm. Faculty chaperones will have students call/text parents when they are about 30 minutes away from arriving at WCA. As a reminder, please help the pick up process to go smoothly by parking in the designated parking areas and not in the traffic circle. The traffic circle must be kept clear for the charter busses pulling in and then lower school parents for regular Friday pick up. Thank you!
Before the Clock Strikes 12 . . .
Deadline T O N I G H T for October Lunch Orders
Don’t forget to log on and place your lunch orders for the month of October by midnight tonight! As always, if this is your first time placing an order, please follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.boonli.com
- Click the link to “Register” at the top of the page
- Enter the password for our school – WCA319
- Follow prompts to complete your registration. You will need to complete a profile for each student designating them as either upper school or lower school to ensure that you have access to the correct menu items.
Final Friday for WCA’s 2017 Cap for a Cure Fundraiser
This Friday will be the last day to donate to our 2017 Cap for a Cure fundraiser. It has been wonderful to see the support of our community as we have raised money to donate to CURE for childhood cancer treatment research. This is a topic near to our hearts as so many in our community have been through, or are currently walking through, childhood cancer.
- The incidence of childhood cancer is on the rise, with an overall increase of 24% in the last 40 years.
- Less than 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s research budget is aimed at solving childhood cancers. In comparison, prostate cancer (with 98% survival rate) receives more NCI funding that ALL childhood cancers combined.
- Fewer than 5 drugs have been developed specifically for children with cancer since 1980, compared to hundreds of drugs developed specifically for adults.
- For many childhood cancers, the same treatments from the 1970s continue with no changes or improvements.
Let’s show our support of Westminster students and families affected by this disease and finish strong WCA!
Picture Day – Wednesday, October 4th
LifeTouch will be on campus on Wednesday, October 4th to take school pictures for all members of the student body and fall sports pictures of the teams and athletes. Below is everything you need to know to ensure this day goes smoothly.
- Order forms are available at the front desk and will be sent home this week in the LS Friday Folders.
- Pictures must be pre-ordered. You may order online with a credit card following the instructions on the order form, or you may pay with cash or a check on picture day. (The money should be turned in to the photographer with the order form.)
- If you are not satisfied with your child’s picture, then you may have it retaken on the Retake Day in November.
- Class pictures will also be taken on Oct. 4.
- Students should be in dress code for pictures.
Fall Sports Pictures:
- All students participating in fall sports — volleyball and cross-country — will have their pictures taken after school, Wednesday, October 4th.
- Each athlete should bring his/her uniform.
- Individual and team pictures will be taken.
- Pictures must be pre-ordered. Order forms are available at the front desk. (See ordering instructions for Picture Day.)
Questions about Picture Day? Contact Tollie Ediger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We Need You. NHS/Beta Club Blood Drive
Register to Donate Now!
WCA National Honor Society and Beta Club students will be sponsoring a blood drive on Friday, October 6th from7:15 am until 12:30 pm. Westminster students will be making phone calls to WCA parents asking them to donate. You can also contact Kelly Cole at email@example.com to register.
Thank you in advance for your support of this life-giving effort!
Go Wild for Books! Saddle Up and Read WCA style
Scholastic Wild West Book Fair 2017
Go wild for books! The book fair starts next Monday, October 2nd and goes through Friday, October 6th. Pull on your favorite boots, don your finest cowboy/girl hat and get ready to read.
New Location This Year: Come and see us at the book fair’s new location in the basement of the Administrative Building. All other details remain the same! There will be contests, a family night, prizes and of course, books, books, books! All proceeds from this sale go toward the purchase of new items for the WCA library.
“Tech Savvy Parenting” Workshop
Mark you calendars for a very important workshop coming to Westminster on Thursday, October 26th at 6:30 pm. WCA will be welcoming Brian Housman to speak to all of our families on the topic of “Tech Savvy Parenting”.
Brian is an amazing communicator who will be able to help all of us navigate the ever growing, confusing and changing world of technology from a biblical perspective. This parent workshop is designed to help parents understand the role of social media in their child’s life, how to respond to the immoral content they’re exposed to, set healthy limits on video games, address abuses of texting, and much more.
Not only will we get to learn from Brian, but our kids will too. He will be speaking directly to our student body in our lower school and upper school chapels on Friday, October 27th.
For more information about Mr. Housman, please see Brian Housman Bio. Or you can visit his website at, techsavvyparenting.com.
We look forward to sharing this time together!
Fall Break 2017
The calendar now officially indicates fall and hopefully the temperatures will get in agreement soon! But either way, WCA’s Fall Break 2017 is almost here. Westminster will be closed on Monday, October 9th and Tuesday the 10th for Fall Break with classes resuming on Wednesday, the 11th.
Make your plans now to enjoy these days away from the daily routine!
Does your middle or high schooler always have the answer? Then WCA Quiz Bowl Team 2017 needs them!
There is still time to join the WCA Quiz Bowl team for the 2017-1018 school year. High School practices will be Tuesday and Friday mornings at 7:10am in room C1. For more information about Quiz Bowl, you may email Kelly Cole for High school firstname.lastname@example.org, or Tollie Ediger for middle school email@example.com.
PSAT for 8th – 11th Graders, October 11th
Good bye Fall Break, hello PSAT!
On Wednesday, October 11th, all WCA 8th – 11th graders will be taking the College Board PSAT. Please know that this is the first day back to school after Fall Break on the 9th and 10th. Additional details will be coming your way soon!
Admissions Preview Day, October 16th
We will hold our next admissions preview day on October 16th at 9 am. If you know of anyone who is interested in learning more about Westminster, please help us spread the word about this event. Families will have the opportunity to see our campus, talk with the faculty and staff, engage with current students and parents, and visit classrooms. For more information, please contact Laura Briscoe, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (706)769-9372.
As we go through our days, please remember the keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (email@example.com) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for the Upper School Impact Retreat 2017 that this would be a time of building relationships with each other and growing in understanding and deepening of personal relationships with God. Also for safe travels and the good health for all participants.
- Please continue to be in prayer for Mark Mills (Nathan (6th), Parker (1st) and wife, Tara Merritt) with regards to taking care of his aging parents. Mark has returned home but both of his parents remain in the hospital in Panama. They are waiting at this point to be able to transport them to the states for further care. His mother has a feeding tube Mark’s father is struggling with declining health and memory problems. Mark and Tara will then need to find some type of assisted living/memory care center for them both. The family requests prayers for wisdom, strength and comfort during these uncertain days.
- Please continue to keep Sabrina Garcia (Noah, 11th and Jacob, 9th) and her family in your prayers as she remains in the hospital at Emory. Sabrina is receiving dialysis treatments and is preparing for a move to a physical therapy rehabilitation center in the coming weeks to continue her recovery. Please pray the the right facility becomes available. Thank you to all in our community who are helping with meals and transportation. We will update you here as we become aware of additional opportunities to bless this family.
- Anderson Krieger (9th grade) and his family, as he continues his treatment for recurrent leukemia. For the most recent updates and specific prayer needs, please follow Sally on social media.
- Brent Weatherly and his family. You can follow his journey and receive specific prayer requests. http://dbw26.wordpress.com.