Calendar Highlights & Mark Your Calendars
|10/2 – 6||Scholastic Book Fair – Saddle Up and Read!|
|10/6||NHS/Beta Club Blood Drive|
|10/11||PSAT – Grades 8 – 11|
|10/16||Admissions Preview Day – 9 am|
|College Financial Aid Information Night – 6:30 pm|
|10/18||Early Dismissal for Parent Teacher Conferences; LS – 11:30, US – 11:45|
|10/26||“Tech Savvy Parenting” Workshop – 6:30 pm|
|10/27||LS Fun Friday|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive school calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
Athletic Calendar Highlights
Oct 4th – 11th
GICAA Regional Volleyball Tournament
|10/5||XC Lions AWAY @ Monsignor Donovan – 3:30 pm|
|V Volleyball AWAY vs. Trinity Prep – 4:30 pm|
|10/6||HS Volleyball AWAY vs. Cherokee|
|JV – 4:15 pm; V – 5:15 pm|
|10/13||GICAA Regional Volleyball Tournament – WCA Hosting|
|10/20||GICAA Regional XC Championship – WCA Hosting|
Please note this is not an all-inclusive athletic calendar. Always check the Google Calendar for additional events, updates and detailed information.
Peds Painter at Piedmont Athens Regional
Every year, Piedmont Athens Regional hospital invites area schools to participate in the Peds Painters program. Each area school may submit art work on a rotating basis to display on the walls of the pediatric area. The purpose is to bring hope and smiles to the hospital’s youngest patients. This fall, 8th grader Ellie Amos, had her acrylic painting, “Flower Fox”, chosen for the program. Congratulations Ellie!
Scenes from Impact Retreat 2017
For those of us who were left at home, below is a gallery of snapshots from last weeks Impact Retreat at Sharptop Cove. From all accounts, it was truly a wonderful and blessed time. Thank you to all faculty, staff and parents who worked so hard to provide this opportunity for our students!
You’re Somebody’s Type!
NHS Beta Club Blood Drive This Friday the 6th – Please Sign up or Drop in to Give!
National Honor Society and Beta Club students will be sponsoring a blood drive on Friday, October 6th. Please contact Kelly Cole, email@example.com to sign-up for your donation time. “Drop-In” donations will also be welcomed!
Please consider helping us meet our goal by giving and participating in this life-saving cause.
Questions? Contact Kelly Cole firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-769-9372. Thank you in advance for your support!
The results are in!
WCA’s 2017 Cap for a Cure Fundraiser
Every Friday in September, WCA students donned their favorite caps and WCA faculty and staff pulled on their favorite jeans and the donations added up. All in all, our community raised $634.70 to help find a cure for childhood cancer! Thank you to all who participated and helped to make this fundraiser a success.
Fall Break 2017
The calendar now officially indicates fall and hopefully the temperatures will get in agreement soon! But either way, WCA’s Fall Break 2017 is almost here. Westminster will be closed on Monday, October 9th and Tuesday the 10th for Fall Break with classes resuming on Wednesday, the 11th.
Make your plans now to enjoy these days away from the daily routine!
Lower School Parent Teacher Conferences
Unbelievably, the first quarter of the 2017-2018 school year ends this week. That means, it’s time to schedule your parent teacher conference for your lower school student. Below you will find a link to an editable sign up sheet for upcoming parent/teacher conferences to be held on October 18th and 19th. Please follow the instructions on the top of the sign up sheet to sign up for your conference(s).
We ask that each family sign up for a conference time as this is a great opportunity to touch base with teachers regarding your child’s progress so far this year. If you are unable to attend a conference during the allotted times, please contact your child’s teacher directly to set up an alternate meeting time.
If you have questions regarding this process, please contact Tiffany Rasmussen, Lower School Principal, email@example.com.
2017 – 2018 Annual Fund
The 2017–2018 Annual Fund campaign packets will be distributed this Friday, October 6th. Packets will be sent home with the youngest sibling if this student is a lower school student. If the youngest sibling is an upper school student, packets will be mailed.
This year, our major annual fund projects will be the remodeling of the entire downstairs of the administration building to house a new state of the art visual art studio and music classroom and the remodeling of the upper school science lab to provide modern lab facilities conducive to learning and innovation.
Thank you for prayerfully considering your family’s participation in this year’s campaign.
Saddle Up and Read WCA Style
2017 WCA Wild West Book Fair Goes Through Friday
There still time to shop and earn money for the WCA library! WCA’s Scholastic Wild West Book Fair is going on now through Friday downstairs in the administration building. It’s been a busy week thus far with lots of happy kids and many books being sold but please know that we have received new books titles and sold-out books have been re-stocked!
So, mosey on down to the book fair today until 3:30, Thursday, 7:30 am – 3:30 pm and Friday, 7:30 am – Noon.
Good bye Fall Break, hello PSAT!
PSAT Administered for all 8th – 11th Graders, October 11th
On Wednesday, October 11th, all WCA 8th – 11th graders will be taking the College Board PSAT. Please know that this is the first day back to school after Fall Break on the 9th and 10th and plan accordingly. Here’s what you need to know to make this testing day go smoothly:
- All 8th – 11th graders need to arrive by 7:50 am on the 11th
- Bring 2, #2 pencils (non-mechanical please)
- Bring approved calculator (math teachers have provided details for your students)
- There is a testing fee of $16.00 for 10th and 11th grade and $10 for all 8th and 9th grade students. Student accounts will be charged through FACTS. Please let Kelly Cole know if your child is unable to test.
All parents of students being tested should have received an email from Kelly Cole with additional details and a sample test. If you do not have this information, or have questions, please contact Kelly Cole, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admissions Preview Day, October 16th
We will hold our next admissions preview day on October 16th at 9 am. If you know of anyone who is interested in learning more about Westminster, please help us spread the word about this event. Families will have the opportunity to see our campus, talk with the faculty and staff, engage with current students and parents, and visit classrooms. For more information, please contact Laura Briscoe, Director of Admissions, at email@example.com or by phone at (706)769-9372.
“Tech Savvy Parenting” Workshop
Mark you calendars for a very important workshop coming to Westminster on Thursday, October 26th at 6:30 pm. WCA will be welcoming Brian Housman to speak to all of our families on the topic of “Tech Savvy Parenting”.
Brian is an amazing communicator who will be able to help all of us navigate the ever growing, confusing and changing world of technology from a biblical perspective. This parent workshop is designed to help parents understand the role of social media in their child’s life, how to respond to the immoral content they’re exposed to, set healthy limits on video games, address abuses of texting, and much more.
Not only will we get to learn from Brian, but our kids will too. He will be speaking directly to our student body in our lower school and upper school chapels on Friday, October 27th.
For more information about Mr. Housman, please see Brian Housman Bio. Or you can visit his website at, techsavvyparenting.com.
We look forward to sharing this time together!
As we go through our days, please remember the keep the following WCA families in your prayers. Also, please email Tami Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org) with updated and/or new prayer requests. It is an honor to pray for each other.
- Please be in prayer for Brandy Ferris (WCA K Teacher) and her family. Brandy’s mother passed away unexpectedly Tuesday evening. Details on funeral arrangements will be communicated when plans have been finalized.
- Please continue to be in prayer for Mark Mills (Nathan (6th), Parker (1st) and wife, Tara Merritt) with regards to taking care of his aging parents. Mark has returned home but both of his parents remain in the hospital in Panama. They are waiting at this point to be able to transport them to the states for further care. His mother has a feeding tube Mark’s father is struggling with declining health and memory problems. Mark and Tara will then need to find some type of assisted living/memory care center for them both. The family requests prayers for wisdom, strength and comfort during these uncertain days.
- Please continue to keep Sabrina Garcia (Noah, 11th and Jacob, 9th) and her family in your prayers. The good news is that Sabrina has been able to come home! She will be continuing her physical therapy and dialysis treatments but she no longer has to be in the hospital. After so many weeks, this is such a blessing for her and her family. Long term recovery and treatment plans are still developing but we are so thankful for the good news! Thank you to all who have provided meals and rides. We will update you here as we become aware of additional opportunities to bless this family.
- Anderson Krieger (9th grade) and his family, as he continues his treatment for recurrent leukemia. For the most recent updates and specific prayer needs, please follow Sally on social media.
- Brent Weatherly and his family. You can follow his journey and receive specific prayer requests. http://dbw26.wordpress.com.
- Prayer requests are included here at the request, or with the permission, of the family.